Who is eligible for 4K?
– Children who are 4 years of age on or before September 1. There is no process for early admittance into 4K.
– Families who reside in Madison.
– Families who reside outside of the MMSD whose home school district has a 4K program may apply for “Open Enrollment.”
What is 4K?
– Universal for all children in Madison and most surrounding districts who meet eligibility.
– Play-based, Inquiry curriculum that is:
— Age appropriate
— Individually appropriate
— Culturally appropriate
– Mixed-age groups
– Monthly 4K activity bags
What are the benefits of enrolling in 4K at the Child Development Lab?
– Nurturing, experienced, licensed early childhood teachers
– Small class sizes: maximum 1:10 adult/child ratio. MMSD school sites are budgeted at a 1:18 ratio.
– State Licensed, City of Madison Accredited, 5-Star rating with Young Star Quality Rating Scale in Wisconsin and Nationally Accredited through NECPA. Our program meets the highest standards of early care and education.
– Dynamic, innovative, setting that incorporates the teaching, research and outreach mission of UW-Madison and the School of Human Ecology.
– Our classrooms and playground are specifically designed for children aged 6 wks.-5 years old.
– Continuity of care and honoring attachments — children can remain in a familiar place with familiar teachers.
– Developmental portfolios are in addition to 4K progress reports that all 4K children receive.
What will the schedule be for 4K Instruction Hours?
– Monday-Friday AM: 9:00-11:30 Full day of enrichment is from 8:00-9 & 11:30-5:00.
What are the fees?
– 4K portion is free (M-F, 9-11:30 September to early June). CDL families pay tuition for full-day enrichment hours beyond 4K designated time.
– $40 Materials fee will be due at the beginning of August. Checks will be made out to MMSD.
Will transportation be provided?
– No, CDL is not a transportation site (MMSD is not able to bus children to and from our building).
Will 4K at the CDL follow the MMSD school calendar?
– We are required to provide 437 hours of “instructional time” for 4K. To do so, our school year will start and end similarly to the MMSD schools. Our school closing dates during the academic year may be different. Ie CDL winter break (2wks.)
– Note: MMSD releases elementary schools early on Mondays and they do not have 4k classes on Mondays at any of the MMSD elementary school sites.
What if we do not live in the Madison School District Attendance Area?